Recently I dusted off outparamdel to see if I can get some refactorings landed. About a year ago, with the great QueryInterface outparamdelling experiment we ended up with a smaller binary footprint and tiny performance gain, but that never landed due to us not wanting to break compatability yet. Ever since, outparamdel has been patiently bitrotting within Pork waiting for the day it’s allowed to break APIs.
Recently jst listed some private API candidates for deCOMtamination and I have been letting outparamdel loose on them for the past week. So far only one such change has been committed, the rest are sitting in jst’s review queue. It’s exciting, as it’s the first ever application of outparamdel that didn’t get canned. For the whole list see the most recent bugs blocking my analysis metabug.
Cool part about these patches is that after various outparamdel special-casing and manual cleanup the line count is reduced by 10-30% while maintaining existing functionality!
So far I haven’t touched much outside of content/, so if you know of any APIs that could have the outparam rotated into the return value, file some rewriting bugs against me.
Rewriting with Mercurial
Mercurial is now my favourite python program ever. It makes rewrites so easy. Here is my typical workflow:
1 2 3 4 5 6
This is a huge improvement over the ad-hoc workflow prior to hg switch when I was prototyping my tools. CVS + quilt don’t hold a candle to a modern revision control system.
I also have been doing another round of prbool corrections. Somehow I didn’t notice that the system stopped working due to the CVS->hg switch. Once again when reviving my nightly checker scripts, it was a pleasure to substitute all of the CVS hacks with mercurial commands.
I am waiting for the few remaining largeish (ie 3-4 bugs per file) patches to land before I can start submitting whackamole bugs with a single prbool correction per module.
It also seems that cairo and every other pre-C99 project have the same set of issues as Mozilla with their typedefed-int boolean types. Perhaps prcheck isn’t mozilla-specific at all.