I spent the past couple weeks analyzing and improving fastload performance. I’ve long been suspicious of fastload, but only finally got around to investigating it in detail. I think there is some fundamentally ironic rule in software that if you put the word “fast” in the name of a component, it is bound to eventually become a performance bottleneck.
Almost a decade has passed since the conception of this code, so it was time to update code’s assumptions to reflect the capabilities of modern OSes. I landed the fix today. It results in startup performance gains of 1-20% on various platforms I tested, making this the most exiting perf bug I’ve worked on.
Now that I’ve had my fill of almost a year’s worth of startup performance analysis, for the remainder of the year I plan to refocus on static analysis. My main goal is decent C support on Dehydra(not to mention the ever elusive GCC 4.5 compatibility) and to facilitate a production-quality DXR.